Tuesday 17 February 2015

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowery

Year Published: 2000
Publisher: Harper Collins

Format: Paperback
Genre(s): Dystopia
Pages: 241
Price: £6.99
How Long Did It Take To Read: 6 Days
Goodreads
Stars: 5







Blurb:
Orphaned and physically flawed in a civilization that shuns and discards the weak, Kira faces a frighteningly uncertain future.
 When she is summoned by the Council of Guardians, Kira prepares to fight for her life, but the Council has unexpected plans for her. Now Kira faces new responsibilities. On her quest for the truth, she discovers things that will change her life forever.

Review:
Lets just start by mentioning this beautiful cover. Isn't it amazing!
I picked this book up after reading The Giver and fell in love with the world it was set in. Gathering Blue is set in the same world but with different rules and a different community. Lois Lowry may become one of my favourite authors once I've read more of his books. When I first picked this book up I didn't really know what to think about it, I just knew I loved The Giver and wanted to read more of his work and I wasn't disappointed. This book may be short but it is full of surprise and feelings. You get a good feel on how Kira is treated because of her physical flaw but she always stays strong and doesn't let the woman get to her. Little Matt a amusing boy, him and his dog branch are always up to adventures which can get them into trouble. They always stick together and have a good bond with the main character Kira. You meet quite a lot of different characters in this book but they are all described well so you get a feel for each of them in detail: there background, how they are treated and how they act. There aren't too many characters so it hard to get confused with them. Overall this book is amazing and you should pick it up if you loved The Giver. I can't wait to get my hands on The Messenger which follows a older Matt. This was deficiently a 5 star read for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment