Sunday 1 February 2015

January Book Haul

These few books are what I brought before I decided to go on a book ban. But after this month I will stick to my book ban as best as I can.


Date Brought: 2/1/2015
New or Secondhand: Second Hand
Price: £2.50
Release Year 1974
Series: N/A
I have always wanted to read a Stephen King book and when I saw someone giving it away and all I had to do was pay for shipping I was not going to turn it down. So my first every Stephen King read will be Carrie which I hope to start next month.

Blurb:

Carrie White is no ordinary girl.

Carrie White has the gift of telekinesis.


To be invited to Prom Night by Tommy Ross is a dream come true for Carrie - the first step towards social acceptance by her high school colleagues.


 But events will take a decidedly macabre turn on that horrifying and endless night as she is forced to exercise her terrible gift on the town that mocks and loathes he.





Date Brought 2/1/2015
New or Secondhand: New
Place Brought: Amazon
Price: £2
Release Year: 2013
Series: The Lunar Chronicles 2nd book
After reading Cinder I knew I just had to have the next one in my hands as soon as possible and when I looked on Amazon it was only £2 so I put it straight in my cart and brought it. I'm super excited about starting it next month.
Blurb:
Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing.
The police have closed her case.
The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf.
A street fighter she does not trust.
But they are drawn to each other.

 Meanwhile, in New Beijing, Cinder will become the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive-when she breaks out of the prison to stay one step ahead of vicious Queen Levana.
 As Scarlet and Wolf Expose one mystery they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels.
Together the must challenge the evil queen. Who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner...






Date Brought: 2/1/2015
New or Secondhand: Secondhand
Place Brought: Off someone on Instagram
Price: £2.50
Release Year: 2013
Series: The School For Good And Evil
This was just a random buy, I had seen it in Waterstones every time I go in there (which is a lot) and the blurb sounds good for a middle grade story. I am looking forward to picking it up in the next few months and see how it is.

Blurb:
Every four years two children are stolen away from
Gavaldon, never to return. Most children fear being 
taken to the School for Good and Evil.
But not Sophie...

She has dreamt all her life of being a princess
and she believes the school could be her chance

Her best friend Agatha had other ideas.

 When the two girls are taken, things
don't quite go to Sophie's plan..

 Because sometimes, the princess and the
witch don't look like they do in fairytales.





Date Brought: 7/1/2015
New or Secondhand: New
Place Brought: Waterstones
Price:£6.99
Release Year: 2000
Series: The Giver Quartet
I read The Giver this month just before the DVD was going to be released and I enjoyed it a lot I picked up the next one. Which I found out doesn't carry on form Johas's story but a different one. I really enjoyed Lois Lowrys writing and so I plan to give this book ago next month to see if I like it as much as The Giver.

Blurb:
Orphaned and physically flawed
in a civilization that shuns and
discards of the weak, Kira faces a
frighteningly uncertain fucture.

 When she is summoned by the Council of
Guardians, Kira prepares to fight for her life,
 but the council has unexpected plans for her.
Now Kira faces new responsibilitys. On her
quest for truth, she discovers things that
will change her life forever.





Date Brought: 2/1/2015
New or Secondhand : New
Place Brought: Amazon
Price:£7.69
Release Year: 2013
Series: Saga volume 2
I've been meaning to buy this Graphic Novel for a while now and I just decided to get it this month so I could carry one with the story.

Blurb:
Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find there place in the universe. Thanks to her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana, newborn baby Hazel has already survived lethal assassins, rampaging armies, and horrific monsters, but in the cold vastness of outer space, the little girl encounters her strangest adventure yet... grandparents.





Date Brought: 30/1/2015
Place Brought: Charity Shop
Price: £0.80
Release Year: 2013
Series: N/A
I had picked this book up a few times in a books store but for some reason I haven't brought it yet. The blurb sounded interesting and when I found it in a charity shop for only 80p I couldn't pass it up. I am super happy I've finally got it on my bookshelf to read.

Blurb: 
All her life Elise Dembowski
has been an outsider.

Starting a new school, she dreams of fitting
in at last - but when her best attempts at
 popularity fail, she almost gives up. Then
she stumbles upon a secret warehouse
party. There, at night, Elise can be a 
different person, making real friends, falling
in love for the first time and finding her true
passion - DJing.

But when her real and secret lives collide,
she has to make a decision once and for
all: just who is the real Elise?




Date Brought: 30/1/2015
Place Brought: Charity Shop
Price: £1.49
Release Year: 2011
Series: Sherlock Holmes
I got Moriarty for Christmas of my father who didn't realise it was the second in a series. He got it for me because of my love for Sherlock and it was really though full of him. I wanted to get the first book in hardback  to match Moriarty but I found this one in a charity shop for cheap so I picked it. If I love it I will pick it up in hardback sometime in the future

Blurb: 

It is November 1890 and London is
gripped by a merciless winter. Sherlock
Holmes and Dr Watson are enjoying tea
by the fire when an agitated gentlemen
arrives unannounced at 221B Baker Street.
He begs Holmes for help, telling the
unnerving story of a scar-faced man with
piercing eyes who has stalked him in recent weeks.

Intrigued, Holmes and Watson find
themselves swiftly drawn into a series
of puzzling and sinister events, streching
from the gas-lit streets of London to the 
teeming criminal underworld of Boston
and the mysterious 'House of Silk'...

So overall this month I have spent £23.97 on books. Which isn't that bad since I brought most of these second hand.
Now to start my book buying ban.

No comments:

Post a Comment